I know it has been awhile since I posted because I have been incredibly busy doing so many things.
As all of you know I started school the first week of August. I have only had students for a week and a day now but I can tell already that I LOVE MY JOB! I honestly don't think I have ever said that before. I was so happy to even find a teaching position but to have found one in a school as awesome as mine, well, I know I am truly blessed.
Why is my school so awesome? Let me count the ways.
1. The staff are all very friendly with one another and get along really well. Sometimes this is hard to find in schools. Teaching is like any other job and people can get caddy or clicky. While there may be SOME of this at my school it definitely is low key and it doesn't seem to create issues like it can at other schools.
2. Our kids give the best hugs. My morning job is bus duty. This is one of my favorite parts of the day. I get to see my kids first thing in the morning and see what kind of day they are having. So many of them (especially the chronic kids) want to give hugs and tell you some kind of story. This is great for building relationships.
3. We do Back Snacks for our kiddos. Because my school is made up of an estimated 70% of children who come from poverty we make sure they ALWAYS EAT. We feed them breakfast AND lunch every single day....even half days. Every Friday we have what we call Back Snacks which means we send them home with enough food to get through the weekend. I had never heard of this before starting my job but I think it is an amazing concept and I am so happy we have something like that to offer our families.
4. We are incredibly structured. This is something some of our kids are lacking at home. Being as structured as we are doesn't only help the students but it helps the teachers too. There are procedures for EVERYTHING so students should always know what is expected of them.
5. My principal didn't freak out when I told him I was PREGNANT! Yep, that's right. I am 13 1/2 weeks along and doing GREAT! We actually never got the chance to have my surgeries this summer because I got pregnant. Because of my history my REI monitored me very closely for the first 10 weeks and now I have been released to a regular OB. I have been on a regular cocktail of meds from the beginning which caused a little sickness and dizziness but nothing I couldn't handle. I am now off one of my meds so I only take a prenatal pill, a DHA supplement and a baby aspirin once a day. Not too bad.
The interesting part is that my due date is February 25th. My nephew's birthday is the 18th, mine is the 21st, my niece's is the 24th and my older sister's is the 27th. That's right, we are all three days apart. Who knows where this baby will fall but there is a good chance it might happen on one of our birthdays!
I have already felt movement from this little one and I have gotten to see him/her three times already. The last time was two weeks ago and I was amazed at how much it already looked like real baby. I was also surprised at how active it was. It moved the entire time we were watching him/her!
When we ask Caiden if he is having a baby sister or brother he almost always answers sister. We will have to wait and see if he is right!
Other things that I have failed to blog about but are important to know:
On August 9th my son was baptised at the Lee's Summit United Methodist Church. We had friends and family in attendance and it was truly an amazing day.
August 18th I officially started my last class in order to get my MAT in December. It is going to be a class with a lot of work but it will be worth it when I see that pay increase. I have worked so hard the last 3 years to get to this point and it is so good to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
My husband turned 30 on August 20th. I had a semi-surprise party for him with the help of many of our close friends. We celebrated this last Saturday and HAD A BLAST! It was so good to see everyone. We got back in touch with some of our good friends that we haven't seen in forever and got to spend quality time with our friends we see once a month....or something like that.
Okay, I will keep you posted on my little bean and I will try my hardest to post more often.