This is my life as it comes hurdling by....

Thursday, May 7, 2009

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Yes. That is me screaming. Happy screams of course. I am screaming because I GOT A JOB!!! I am so happy I could melt.

Ever since I made the decision to go back to school to be an art teacher I knew I wanted to teach elementary. The problem was, we are certified K-12 so we go anywhere that will hire us. That brings up the other problem- who is hiring in this economy?!! I not only want a job in art but I want an elementary job in art!

I interviewed with a few schools but one wasn't hiring at all and the other one, well, they are on "the list" now. The third interview I went on was in Raytown for an elementary position. There was something that just felt right at this school and I picked up on it the second I walked in the room. The staff is super friendly and the school has a cozy feel to it since it is the old, brick style building rather than the cement block institution style you see now.

When I got called back for the second interview I must say, I got a little cocky. I was SO SURE I was going to get the job that I didn't prepare myself as much as I should have for the interview. Did I mention it was with 6 complete strangers? Yeah.

Needless to say I left there feeling very low and so mad at myself for ruining what felt like such a wonderful opportunity. When the principal said he would know in a week I held on to those words and checked my phone every hour for the entire week. When Monday rolled back around and still no call, I was devastated. I knew I didn't get the job and there was no one to blame but myself...until I got the text from Lorel.

The principal was checking my references!!! What a good sign. From there I feel like everything happened so fast. He called me, I called him, he called me back, offered me a job and I said YES! I don't even know if I was that excited when Jay asked me to marry him?!

Anyway, since this IS the Internet and I have a whole 20 people that follow me (officially and unofficially) I will not say the name of the school I am going to work for. I will say that it is in Raytown and I am very excited for the opportunity to work with these kids. Actually I was so excited to work for this school that I turned down opportunities at Grain Valley and Ray-Pec to go there. Crazy, I know but I think I'm right where I am supposed to be.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Auburn said...

congratulations!!

Dave said...

Awesome! Also, poor Jay.

"offered me a job and I said YES! I don't even know if I was that excited when Jay asked me to marry him?!"

ashleygates1@gmail.com said...

congrats!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Jenni!

-Tommy and Ira